Are you tired of bland, poorly ground coffee? Then, it might be time to invest in a high-quality burr grinder. Burr grinders use a set of two abrasive surfaces, or burrs, to crush coffee beans into a consistent size, resulting in a better-tasting and more flavorful brew.
In this blog post, we’ve compiled a list of the five best coffee grinders on the market to help you find the perfect one for your needs. From user-friendly designs to advanced features, we’ve got you covered. Happy brewing!
Are you a coffee connoisseur looking for the perfect burr grinder to elevate your daily brew? Look no further! We’ve compiled a list of the five best coffee burr grinders on the market.
5 Best Coffee Burr Grinders 2023
|Top Top||Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder (Black)||Check Price|
|Top||OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder||Check Price|
|Top||Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill||Check Price|
|Top||Manual Coffee Grinder by JavaPresse — Manual Coffee Bean Grinder with 18 Adjustable Settings, Stainless Steel Manual Burr Hand Coffee Grinder with Crank — Great Holiday Gift, Perfect for Camping||Check Price|
|Top||Breville Smart Grinder Pro Coffee Bean Grinder, Brushed Stainless Steel, BCG820BSS||Check Price|
1. Baratza Encore Conical Burr Grinder
The Baratza Encore Conical Burr Grinder is a specialty coffee association award-winning grinder that is preferred by coffee professionals and backed by Baratza’s world-class support.
It is the go-to entry-level grinder for brewing coffee at home, with its small footprint and available in white or black.
The Encore is user-friendly, with a convenient front-mounted pulse button and a simple ON/OFF switch, making it easy to grind fresh coffee.
It has 40 grind settings engineered with 40mm commercial-grade conical burrs, allowing you to explore a wide range of brew methods, including espresso, Aeropress, Hario V60, Chemex, French press, and automatic brewers.
2. OXO BREW Conical Burr Grinder
The grinder features 15 grind size settings, from fine for espresso to coarse for French press, and a one-touch timer that keeps your last setting, so you don’t have to reset it every time.
The stainless steel conical burrs create uniform grounds for gold-cup flavor, and the one-touch timer makes it easy to use. Overall, the OXO BREW Conical Burr Grinder is the perfect choice for anyone looking to achieve the best possible flavor from their coffee beans.
- EASY TO USE: The OXO Conical Burr Grinder is easy to use, with a dial to select the grinding time and a push-button start.
- STURDY CONSTRUCTION: The grinder is built with durable stainless steel housing and a robust and conical burr design for consistent, uniform grinding.
- LARGE BEAN HOPPER: The grinder has a large bean hopper that can hold up to 0.75 pounds of beans so that you can grind enough coffee for multiple cups.
- QUIET OPERATION: The grinder operates quietly, so you can grind your beans without disturbing others.
- EASY CLEANUP: The grinder is easy to clean, with a removable burr and a built-in brush for quick and convenient maintenance.
Overall, the OXO BREW Conical Burr Grinder is a reliable and easy-to-use choice for anyone looking to achieve the best possible flavor from their coffee beans. It is built with durable materials and features a convenient design that makes it easy to use and clean.
3. Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill
The Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill is the best choice for a conical burr grinder. It boasts 18 levels of grind, from ultra-fine to extra-coarse, ensuring that your beans are consistently ground to the proper grade and maximizing the oils, aromas, and flavors for a better cup of coffee.
The elegant brushed stainless steel burr mill can grind enough coffee to make 4-18 cups and has a removable eight oz—bean hopper and a removable grind chamber that holds enough ground coffee for 32 cups.
The grinder also features a separate one-touch power bar, an electric timer that automatically shuts off the unit when the grind cycle is complete, and a heavy-duty motor for reliable performance.
It is easy to use and clean, with convenient cord storage and a scoop/cleaning brush included. The Cuisinart DBM-8 is BPA-free and comes with a limited 18-month warranty. \
- UNIFORM GRIND: The burr grinding mechanism of the Cuisinart DBM-8 provides a uniform grind and optimum flavor for your coffee.
- STYLISH DESIGN: The elegant stainless steel styling of the grinder makes it a stylish addition to any kitchen.
- EASY TO USE: The 18-position grind selector, 4-18 cup slide dial, and one-touch power bar make it easy to grind the perfect amount of coffee for your needs.
- CONVENIENT: The grinder has a removable bean hopper and grinds chamber for easy cleaning and maintenance and convenient cord storage to keep your countertop clutter-free.
- RELIABLE: The heavy-duty motor and electric timer ensure reliable performance, and the grinder is BPA-free for added peace of mind.
Overall, the Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill is a reliable and convenient choice for anyone looking to enjoy freshly ground coffee at home. Its uniform grind, stylish design, and easy-to-use features make it a top choice for conical burr grinders. The Cuisinart DBM-8 user manual can be found here.
4. JavaPresse Manual Burr Grinder
The JavaPresse Manual Burr Grinder is the best choice for a manual burr grinder. It is built with a professional-grade ceramic conical burr to heighten the flavors of the finest coffees and has a stainless steel frame for durability.
The grinder has a built-in adjustable grind selector with over 15 settings, allowing you to have complete control over the coarseness of your grind.
It is convenient and portable, with no batteries or power required, and its compact size makes it perfect for travel.
The hand crank mechanism eliminates over 90% of the electric noise grinders produce, making it ideal for use in various settings, including office cubicles or quiet spaces.
The ceramic burrs are tested through three quality inspections and are designed to last 5 times longer than stainless steel.
Overall, the JavaPresse Manual Burr Grinder is a reliable and convenient choice for anyone looking to enjoy freshly ground coffee on the go.
- TRADITIONAL JAPANESE STYLE: The grinder is crafted with the same essence as traditional Japanese cookware, giving it a classic and timeless look.
- EASY TO USE: The hand crank mechanism makes it easy to use, and the built-in adjustable grind selector allows you to choose from over 15 settings to achieve the perfect coarseness for your brew.
- PORTABLE: The compact size and lack of electricity requirements make it easy to take the grinder with you wherever you go, whether camping, hiking, or traveling.
- QUIET: The hand crank eliminates over 90% of the electric noise grinders produce, making it an excellent choice for use in quiet spaces or at night.
- DURABLE: The ceramic burrs are tested through three quality inspections to ensure they last longer than stainless steel, making the grinder a reliable choice for everyday use.
Overall, the JavaPresse Manual Burr Grinder is a reliable and convenient choice for anyone looking to enjoy freshly ground coffee on the go. Its traditional Japanese style, easy-to-use design, and durability make it a top choice for a manual burr grinder.
5. Breville the Smart Grinder Pro
The Breville the Smart Grinder Pro is a top choice for a burr grinder. It features a digital LCD display with numeric grind time and size setting indicators that make precision grinding easy, with 60 macro and 10 micro grind adjustments for 600 grind sizes.
The grinder is made with durable and reliable materials, including conical stainless steel burrs and a brushed metal exterior. It is compatible with almost all portafilters and has enough clearance to fit a whole filter basket, giving you flexibility across the grinding spectrum.
The grinder is easy to use, with magnetized attachments and a LCD display that makes it easy to change grind size and time settings. It is a value-priced grinder that performs well and is backed by the reputation of the Breville brand, a leader in kitchen appliances.
- LCD DISPLAY: The digital LCD display makes it easy to see and adjust the grind size and time settings, with numeric values for precision grinding.
- 600 GRIND SIZES: The grinder has 60 macro and 10 micro grind adjustments for a total of 600 different grind sizes, giving you a wide range of options for your coffee brewing needs.
- DURABLE AND RELIABLE: The grinder is made with conical stainless steel burrs and a brushed metal exterior that is durable and reliable. It is built to last and needs to be cleaned regularly to avoid clogs.
- COMPATIBLE WITH PORTAFILTERS: The grinder is compatible with almost all portafilters and has enough clearance to fit a whole filter basket, giving you flexibility across the grinding spectrum.
- VALUE-PRICED: The Breville Smart Grinder Pro is a value-priced grinder that performs well, making it an excellent choice for those on a budget.
- BRAND REPUTATION: The grinder is made by Breville, a leader in kitchen appliances and a well-respected name in the coffee industry. It comes with a 1-year limited warranty for added peace of mind.
Overall, the Breville the Smart Grinder Pro is a reliable and convenient choice for anyone looking to achieve precision grinding for their coffee. Its digital LCD, 600 grind sizes, durable and reliable materials, and compatibility with portafilters make it a top choice for a burr grinder.
What are the Benefits of a Burr Grinder
A burr grinder is a coffee grinder that uses a set of two abrasive surfaces, or burrs, to grind coffee beans. There are several benefits to using a burr grinder:
- Consistency: One of the main benefits of a burr grinder is its ability to produce a consistent grind. Unlike blade grinders, which chop beans unevenly, burr grinders crush beans between two burrs, resulting in a more uniform size. This is especially important for brewing methods that require a specific grind size, such as espresso or French press.
- Precision: Most burr grinders come with adjustable settings that allow you to choose the coarseness or fineness of your grind. This allows for greater control over the brewing process and the ability to tailor the grind size to your specific brewing method.
- Flavor: A consistent and precise grind can also improve the flavor of your coffee. When beans are ground evenly, it allows for more surface area to be exposed to hot water during brewing, resulting in a more balanced and full-bodied flavor.
- Durability: Burr grinders are typically more durable than blade grinders, as they have fewer moving parts and don’t rely on a blade to chop beans. This means they are less prone to wear and tear and may last longer.
- Noise: Burr grinders tend to be quieter than blade grinders, as they operate using a slower and more controlled grinding process. This can be especially important if you are sensitive to noise or live in a shared space.
How to Choose a Burr Grinder
There are several factors to consider when choosing a burr grinder:
- Type of burrs: There are two main burrs: conical and flat. Conical burrs are cone-shaped and are generally considered more durable and easier to clean. Flat burrs are flat and disc-shaped and are preferred by professionals for their ability to produce a more consistent grind.
- Grind size: Most burr grinders come with adjustable settings that allow you to choose the coarseness or fineness of your grind. Consider the brewing method you will use and whether you need a specific grind size.
- Capacity: Consider the amount of coffee you typically brew and choose a grinder with a capacity that meets your needs. A smaller grinder may be sufficient if you only brew a few cups at a time. However, a larger-capacity grinder may be a better choice if you brew larger quantities or want the option to store ground coffee.
- Speed: The speed at which the burrs rotate can affect the grind’s quality and the beans’ temperature. Faster speeds may produce a less consistent grind and heat the beans more, while slower speeds may produce a more consistent grind but take longer to complete.
- Price: Determine your budget and look for a grinder that fits within it. Remember that higher-priced grinders may offer more advanced features and better build quality, but they may only be necessary for some.
- Brand reputation: Research the brand and read reviews from other customers to get a sense of the quality and reliability of the grinder.
- Ease of use and maintenance: Consider the grinder’s ease of use and maintenance. Some features include an easy-to-use grind adjustment, a transparent bean hopper, and removable burrs for easy cleaning.
Conical Burr Grinder vs. Flat Burr Grinder
Conical burr grinders and flat burr grinders are both types of burr grinders, which use a set of two abrasive surfaces, or burrs, to crush coffee beans into a consistent size. However, there are a few key differences between the two:
- Shape: As the name suggests, conical burrs are cone-shaped, while flat burrs are flat and disc-shaped.
- Grind quality: Some coffee enthusiasts believe that flat burrs can produce a more consistent and precise grind, while conical burrs may produce a slightly less consistent grind. However, the difference in grind quality can be subtle and may come down to personal preference.
- Durability: Conical burrs are generally considered more durable than flat burrs, as they have fewer moving parts and are less prone to wear and tear.
- Noise: Conical burrs are quieter than flat burrs, as they operate slower.
- Price: Flat burr grinders are often more expensive than conical burr grinders, as they are typically considered more advanced and are preferred by professionals.
Ultimately, the decision between a conical burr grinder and a flat burr grinder may come down to personal preference, budget, and the specific features and characteristics you are looking for in a grinder. Both types can produce high-quality coffee and offer their unique benefits.
How to take care of your Burr Grinder
Here are some tips for taking care of your burr grinder:
- Clean regularly: It’s essential to keep your burr grinder clean to ensure optimal performance and prevent the build-up of old coffee grounds. Use a soft, dry cloth to wipe down the exterior of the grinder and remove any excess grounds from the burrs and hopper. For a deeper clean, you can use a small brush, such as a toothbrush, to gently scrub the burrs and hopper.
- Adjust the grind size: Make sure to adjust the grind size according to your brewing method. A finer grind is usually suitable for espresso, while a coarser grind is better for French press or drip coffee. Using the wrong grind size can result in over-extraction or under-extraction, affecting the flavor and strength of your coffee.
- Calibrate the burrs: If your grinder produces inconsistent grind sizes, you may need to calibrate the burrs. Consult the manual for instructions on how to do this, as the process can vary depending on the model.
- Store properly: When not in use, store your burr grinder in a dry, dust-free environment. Avoid leaving it out in the open, as this can expose it to moisture and other elements affecting its performance.
By following these tips, you can help extend the life of your burr grinder and ensure that it performs at its best.
Frequently Asked Questions about Burr Grinders
What is a burr grinder?
A burr grinder is a coffee grinder that uses a set of two abrasive surfaces, or burrs, to grind coffee beans. The beans are placed between the burrs and crushed into a consistent size, resulting in a more uniform and flavorful grind.
What is the difference between a burr grinder and a blade grinder?
The grinding mechanism is the main difference between a burr grinder and a blade grinder. A burr grinder uses two abrasive surfaces to crush the beans, while a blade grinder uses a blade to chop the beans.
As a result, burr grinders tend to produce a more consistent and precise grind, while blade grinders can produce an uneven and inconsistent grind.
What are the benefits of using a burr grinder?
Some benefits of using a burr grinder include a consistent and precise grind, improved flavor and aroma of the coffee, and durability. Burr grinders also tend to be quieter and easier to maintain than blade grinders.
What should I consider when choosing a burr grinder?
When choosing a burr grinder, consider the type of burrs (conical or flat), the grind size, the capacity, the speed, the price, the brand reputation, and the ease of use and maintenance.
How do I care for my burr grinder?
To care for your burr grinder, clean it regularly, use the right beans, adjust the grind size according to the brewing method, calibrate the burrs if necessary, and store it properly when not in use.
How do I adjust the grind size on my burr grinder?
Most burr grinders come with adjustable settings that allow you to choose the coarseness or fineness of your grind. Consult the manual for specific instructions on adjusting the grind size on your particular model.
Some grinders may have a dial or lever that you can turn or move to select the desired grind size, while others may have a digital display that allows you to input the desired size.
Can I use any beans in a burr grinder?
It’s generally recommended to use whole coffee beans in a burr grinder, as pre-ground coffee can clog the burrs and affect the quality of the grind.
It’s also vital to choose beans that are as fresh as possible and store them in an airtight container to preserve their flavor and aroma.
Avoid using too oily beans, as this can also clog the burrs and affect the grinder’s performance.
How do I clean the burrs on my burr grinder?
To clean the burrs on your burr grinder, first unplug the grinder and remove any beans from the hopper.
Use a small brush, such as a toothbrush, to gently scrub the burrs and remove any excess grounds. You can also use a soft, dry cloth to wipe down the burrs.
Some grinders may have removable burrs for easier cleaning, so consult the manual for specific instructions.
Can I store ground coffee in my burr grinder?
It’s generally not recommended to store ground coffee in a burr grinder, as the residual grounds can affect the flavor and aroma of the coffee.
Instead, it’s best to grind the coffee you need for each brew. If you have leftover ground coffee, store it in an airtight container away from light and moisture to preserve its freshness.
How long does a burr grinder last?
The lifespan of a burr grinder can vary depending on the quality and type of burr and how well it is cared for.
In general, burr grinders are more durable than blade grinders and can last several years with proper maintenance.
Regular cleaning, using the right beans, and storing the grinder properly can help extend its lifespan.
Final Thoughts: 5 Best Coffee Burr Grinders
As a coffee connoisseur, I can confidently say that investing in a high-quality burr grinder is one of the best decisions you can make for your daily brew.
While blade grinders may be cheaper and more convenient, they can’t compare to the consistency, precision, and flavor a burr grinder can provide.
When choosing a burr grinder, it’s essential to consider the type of burr, the grind size, the capacity, the speed, the price, the brand reputation, and the ease of use and maintenance.
Considering these factors, you can find the perfect grinder for your needs and budget.
But it’s not just about the initial purchase – taking care of your burr grinder is also crucial for maintaining its performance and longevity.
Regular cleaning, using the right beans, adjusting the grind size, calibrating the burrs if necessary, and storing it properly will help ensure that your grinder continues to produce high-quality coffee for years to come.
In short, if you’re serious about your coffee and want to take your daily brew to the next level, a burr grinder is a must-have. Happy brewing!